Monday, July 10, 2006

back from kings island

We are back in town after a few days in the Cincinnati area and a visit to Kings Island. What a great time! It brought back a lot of wonderful childhood memories for my wife and me as we watched our kids enjoying Kings Island as much as we did. A couple of random thoughts hit me during the time we spent at the park.
First-- It was so nice to see literally thousands of traditional, two-parent families bonding and creating their own family memories. While it is true that two-parent families are on the decline in our country, and that not enough dads take an active part in the raising of their kids, it was so very gratifying to witness thousands of families doing it "the right way". There is hope!
Second--Hundreds of churches from all over the Midwest were in attendance at Kings Island for a Christian music festival hosted by the park. Thousands of Christians, wearing T-shirts declaring their love of God and their personal relationship with Jesus, served as a powerful witness to all who were there.
Third-- When I was a kid going to Kings Island, I vividly recall hearing the song "It's a Small World After All" playing over and over and over and....over the loud speakers all day. That cute (but annoying) song has been replaced with Nickelodian girl-band songs with lyrics like "What can I do to get you to love me?" and "It's all about me". These are messages we want our pre-teens bombarded with? It's the only complaint I had about the whole experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Counters