Thursday, June 29, 2006

let's talk pacers basketball

I know that we normally talk about politics and religion on this site, but in the aftermath of the NBA Draft, I think it's appropriate to talk about the Pacers for a minute.
We have been huge Pacers fans since the very beginning. I vividly remember going to the Coliseum at the State Fairgrounds as a kid to watch George McGinnis, "Rajah" Brown, Mel Daniels, Freddie Lewis, Bob Netolicky, Darnell Hillman, and "Slick" Leonard in the old ABA (check out www.remembertheaba.com to relive those glory days). We have been diehard Pacers fans ever since, in good times and bad.
So, the important question: was Shawne Williams a good pickup? I say "yes". Lots of Pacers fans are saying that the two draft picks (James White of Cincy being the other) mean that Larry Bird isn't planning on resigning Peja Stojakovich or Fred Jones. I disagree. I believe that this all means that Steven Jackson and Jermaine O'Neal are gone. Maybe not this year, but definitely next year. It looks to me like Bird wants to build a team with Granger, Williams, White and Jasikevicius as the core. Sarunas can play, if Rick "Paint-By-Numbers" Carlisle would just leave him alone and let him play the point. Peja and Freddie would fit right in with that group. That just leaves the center position open, which leads me to a prediction. Before the 2007 draft, Bird will trade Jermaine, Jackson, and possibly Peja for the #1 pick--Greg Oden. That spells NBA World Championship for Indy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Counters