Thursday, August 16, 2007

will the real mitt romney please stand up

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=57174

1994: "I believe that abortion should be safe and legal in this country. ... I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years, we should sustain and support it, and I sustain and support that law and the right of a woman to make that choice." ---Mitt Romney, during his campaign for the U.S. Senate

2002: "So when asked will I preserve and protect a woman's right to choose, I make an unequivocal answer: yes." ---Mitt Romney, Governor Massachusettes

2002: "I will preserve and protect a woman's right to choose, and have devoted and am dedicated to honoring my word in that regard. ... I'm not going to make any changes that would make it more difficult for a woman to make that choice herself. ...A woman should have the right to make her own choice as to whether or not to have an abortion...I have held that view consistently. ... I do not take the position of a pro-life candidate. I'm in favor of preserving and protecting a woman's right to choose." ---Mitt Romney, Governor

2007: "I never called myself pro-choice. I never allowed myself to use the word 'pro-choice,' because I didn't feel I was pro-choice. I would protect the law, I said, as it was, but I wasn't pro-choice."---Mitt Romney, GOP Presidential Candidate

2007: "My greatest mistake was when I first ran for office being deeply opposed to abortion but saying I'd support the current law, which was pro-choice and effectively a pro-choice position. That was just wrong. I never said that I was pro-choice." ---Mitt Romney, GOP Candidate Desparately Trolling For Conservative Votes

You know, I personally don't care at this point whether Mitt Romney is pro-choice or pro-life. It doesn't matter any more. The point is moot. What I care about is the fact that Mitt Romney took two diametrically-opposed positions on a very important issue well past the point of maturation in his adult life.

Personal disclosure---When I graduated from college and was in my 20's, I was staunchly pro-choice. I believed all of the conventional wisdom about abortion being a matter of choice for the woman, and "it's her body and none of my business" and "it's not a baby, it's a blob of tissue" and "pro-life people are crazy--it's just a fetus they're getting hysterical over." As I matured and actually began to study various public policy/cultural issues, I realized that I was wrong and I "evolved" (I hate that phrase!) to my present pro-life/anti-abortion position.

That's different than what Romney did. Mitt Romney was way past his 20's when he ran for the Senate. He needed votes from liberal Massachusettes voters, so he espoused pro-choice positions. Fast forward to 2007. Romney is running for President, and he needs conservatives to vote for him. Oui La! Romney is now Mr. Pro-Life!

I don't care what Romney believes. I do care that his beliefs seem to change according to who he needs votes from. Mitt Romney is nothing more than John Kerry with a strong jaw!

Prediction: If the GOP nominates Romney to run for President, the GOP will lose the conservative base. A conservative 3rd party candidate will emerge and siphon as much as 3% of the vote away from Romney. Many conservatives will simply stay home. Say hello to Pres. Clinton (or possibly Gore) with 49% of the popular vote. Congratulations GOP! How does that taste!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Counters