Thursday, October 12, 2006

where are the heroes?

The Pacers situation makes me mad, but also a little sad. When I was a kid I had heroes in the sports world who were worthy of admiration. John Havlicek, Bill Russell, Tony Perez, Joe Morgan, Roberto Clemente, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, Walter Payton--these were guys who were worthy of admiration. Their deeds matched their athletic prowess. Clemente gave his life helping his fellow man.
Who will my kids look up to? Who are the heroes of today? Certainly I hope I am a positive role model for my kids, just as my father was for me, but kids need "outside" heroes, too. They need someone to root for that's not going to turn a westside strip club parking lot into the O.K. Corrall. They need people to cheer for who won't fail drug tests or beat up a woman or father 10 kids out of wedlock or hang out with hookers or assault a teammate. I don't see very many choices out there and that makes me sad.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bukko Boomeranger said...

Those bad examples you're talking about at the end there -- those are Republican Congressmen and the lobbyists who feed their illicit appetites, right?

3:21 AM  
Blogger hondo said...

Well, uh, no Bukko. Actually I was talking about sports. I thought (incorrectly as it turns out) that I had made that clear. Do you have trouble with reading comprehension?

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Counters