Thursday, February 15, 2007

john amaechi--how should christian conservatives react?

Here's the story in a nutshell, as reported by ESPN:

In a groundbreaking revelation that began to reverberate around the NBA on Wednesday, former player John Amaechi has become the first professional basketball player to openly identify himself as gay. See the link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2757105

Amaechi has done all this with his new book, Man in the Middle. Oh, what a circus this has turned in to! ESPN has given this story "wall-to-wall coverage" as they seek to explore all of the important social ramifications of this sudden, historic event. I have quite a few random thoughts on the subject, so I'll try to make some sense of them.

1. Who cares? You know what? I don't give 2 hoots who John Amaechi is sleeping with! It's none of my business, and I don't need some ex-jock throwing his sexual choices in my face! I didn't like it with Wilt Chamberlain, and I don't like it with Amaechi.
2. I believe that homosexuality is a sin, and I don't believe that it's genetic (beyond our power to choose), but the sin of homosexuality is no different from any other sin. Divorce, stealing, drunkenness, adultery, etc. are just as sinful in the eyes of the Lord. In other words, hate the sin but love the sinner!
3. Amaechi DID NOT "come out" in his new book. That is a falsehood perpetuated by ESPN. Amaechi actually came out while playing with the Utah Jazz (2001-2003). He frequented all of the gay bars, invited his gay friends to games (where they sat in the player's family section in full view of everybody) and got involved in discussions over sexuality with some of his teammates.
4. Why does ESPN say that Amaechi is "coming out" with the book? And why is ESPN hitting this story so hard? And why is Amaechi suddenly holding court with the media about something he apparently came to grips with several years ago? Because the publisher of the book is........ESPN Publishing! And because the book was released.....this week! This is all about the money!
5. Former NBA All-Star Tim Hardaway had this to say about Amaechi, and homosexuality in general:
"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known," Hardaway said. "I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

OK, so he's ignorant! Here's the rub, though: The drive by media will use Hardaway's comment as a brush to paint anybody who has legitimate concerns about this issue as an ignorant homophobe. That's the way the liberal press is!
6. I have already stated that I don't care who Amaechi is sleeping with. I DO care what the next step in Amaechi's agenda is. He is involved in youth mentoring right now. My fear is that he will use all of this publicity as a launching pad for his next career as a gay activist, telling kids that it's "OK to be gay." This world does not need a recognizable athlete telling kids that homosexuality is something to be desired! If, in fact, Amaechi does go down that path, my opinions about him will change.
7. Parents should use this story as a chance to talk to their kids (age appropriate, please!) about what a wonderful blessing from God sex is, and how God wants us to experience this particular blessing within the structure of a married (man-woman) relationship, and how dangerous it is to abuse this blessing by "playing" with it in ways that God didn't intend. All moments are teachable moments!
8. God bless John Amaechi. I hope he sells lots of books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Counters