Friday, February 09, 2007

another sports story

How about another feel-good sports story? The Butler Bulldogs basketball team is ranked #10 in the nation, and ran their best-in-the-country record to 23-2 last night with their 92-50 win over Cleveland State.

Butler is a small, private university on Indianapolis' north side that stresses academics for ALL students, including athletes. Butler has a rich and storied tradition in basketball, they play in one of the great basketball facilities in the world (venerable Hinkle Fieldhouse) and they do things the right way. Their players graduate on time, they play solid, fundamental basketball, they are fierce competitors, and they don't cheat. Their coach, Todd Lickliter, doesn't throw chairs or verbally abuse refs or scream profanity at players. He coaches the right way, and he is reaping the rewards this season. Already this season, Butler has defeated Notre Dame, Indiana, Tennessee, Gonzaga, Purdue, and THE FIGHTING CARDINALS OF BALL STATE. (Well, maybe that 65-41 win over Ball State wasn't quite as impressive as the other victories. I was at that game, all decked out in my alumni gear, and I swear the game was real close till the opening tip off!) Check out http://butlersports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/butl-m-baskbl-body.html
This is a basketball team to keep an eye on when March Madness rolls around!

One additional note from a frustrated Ball State alum: I took my eldest son (7) with me to the Butler/BSU game at Hinkle. About 90 seconds into the game, my son said (and I quote) "Daddy, Ball State really stinks! Have they played basketball for very long?" Good grief! That's OK, Butler is a class program, and I'm proud that they kicked the hoo-hah out of my team!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Counters