Friday, June 08, 2007

random thoughts about the gop debate

Things have been so busy for me this week that I didn't get to watch the latest GOP debate live. I recorded the debate, though, plus the post-debate analysis from Hannity and Colmes, and watched both last night. Random thoughts:

1. The media likes to call the Rudy McRomney trio the "front runners," and I suppose they are, but they don't impress me. If there was ever any doubt about how much trouble McCain's candidacy is in, the immigration fiasco should put those doubts to rest. Romney keeps having to explain how everything he is saying today is different than what he said when he was running for governor in a liberal state, and the explanations are weaker and weaker. If I had a gun to my head and had to pick one of the three, I suppose it would be Giuliani, but it would be painful. He's just not a conservative.

2. Of the so-called "second tier" candidates, none has been as impressive as Mike Huckabee. The rest of that group should go home today and get on with the rest of their lives, because they don't have a shred of a chance of securing the nomination. Huckabee, on the other hand, is not in a bad position. He's a pure Christian conservative and he is very good at articulating that message. I particularly liked the way he verbally slapped CNN's "Wolf Donder and Blitzen" around over the evolution question. The crowd applauded and poor Wolf looked downright confused.
YouTube - Mike Huckabee responds to evolution question
I'll admit it--I was wrong about Huckabee in the beginning, but I have come around. I like Mike!

3. Look up the word "fool" in the dictionary and you will find a picture of Ron Paul. That man is not qualified to be elected dog catcher, let alone Commander-In-Chief of the United States! He doesn't have the first clue about how dangerous Islamofascism is to America and to the world. The man might even be more of a fool than John Edwards, and that's saying something!

4. Sean Hannity had a lengthy interview with Fred Thompson after the debate, and I was very impressed. There isn't any doubt in the world that he will make it official, and he'll probably do so by July 4. My feeling is that an official Thompson candidacy will hurt Giuliani and Romney more than Huckabee. In fact, I believe that, by October, Thompson, Huckabee and Romney will be the three front runners. Giuliani will follow the pack and everybody else will be done. At least, that is my hope.

Final Thought: Come autumn, a three-man race between Fred Thompson, Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney will give the GOP electorate clear choices. At that point, I believe that Romney will be exposed as the pseudo-conservative that he is. Unless I'm missing something, I don't think that there is any reason to doubt the conservative credentials or the character of either Huckabee or Thompson. That leaves "competence" as the issue to be decided by voters and delegates. We shall see!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Counters