Sunday, November 12, 2006

sir elton john provides a teachable moment

http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/11/11/205402.shtml?s=ic

Organized religion fuels anti-gay discrimination and other forms of bias, pop star Elton John said in an interview published Saturday.
"I think religion has always tried to turn hatred toward gay people," John said in the Observer newspaper's Music Monthly Magazine. "Religion promotes the hatred and spite against gays."
"But there are so many people I know who are gay and love their religion," he said. "From my point of view, I would ban religion completely. Organized religion doesn't seem to work. It turns people into really hateful lemmings and it's not really compassionate."

Use the link above to read the entire article, but certainly the entire message of the article is contained in this quote. When I read secular progressive drivel such as this, I try to learn from it. The lesson I learn from this quote is that there are very real differences between Christian conservatives and secular progressives.

Clearly, I am a Christian conservative. I am also a big Elton John fan. I have seen him in concert 6 different times starting in 1978. I own most of his CD's, and I own a concert DVD box set. I am well aware of his lifestyle, but I don't care. I believe that homosexuality is a sin, but it's a sin that is no different than divorce or adultery. Elton John's sexuality does not prevent me from admiring the man as a musician and a performer. Quite frankly, his sexuality is none of my business. I don't know of any prominent Christian conservative in the country who believes that homosexuality should be outlawed. If there was one, I would be a strong opponent. Sexuality is none of the government's business.

Now, that is very different from being against gay marriage. Most Christian conservatives believe that the gay marriage issue is a ploy by gay activists to coerce government into sanctioning homosexuality as no different than any other form of sexuality. It's not enough for government to be neutral on the issue. Secular progressives want government to mainstream homosexuality as a matter of public policy. Elton John even takes that one giant step further when he says that government should ban organized religion because it opposes the secular progressive agenda.

Do you see the difference? Let's summarize.
1. Elton John, a committed secular progressive and a gay political activist, wants to ban organized religion. Christian conservatives have no desire to ban homosexuality.
2. According to secular progressives, it is hateful and intolerant for Christians to disapprove of homosexuality because of our religious beliefs. On the other hand, secular hatred directed towards Christians is the ultimate in sophisticated, nuanced thinking.
3. "Liberal tolerance" is an oxymoron. There is no political doctrine on this earth more hateful or more intolerant than modern liberalism, or secular progressivism.
4. Liberalism is a cancer of the heart, soul, mind and spirit. It renders a person unable to differentiate between good and evil, fact and fiction, or tolerance and intolerance. It is a disease that breeds hatred and intolerance in the soul, and there is no more striking example of that sad fact than the Elton John interview.

Now, when is Elton's next concert tour? I want to be first in line for tickets!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Counters