Sunday, November 19, 2006

charlie rangel is right

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/11/19/ftn/main2199539.shtml

I would be willing to bet any amount of money that the sentence "Charlie Rangel is right" has never before appeared on a blog containing the words "Christian" or "conservative" in its title. That's what I do, though. If someone speaks the truth, I don't care what their political beliefs are, I will support them in the truth.
Rep. Charlie Rangel, D-N.Y. said Sunday that he believes that the United States needs to reinstitute the draft in order to adequately keep up with our military commitments and to deter politicians from carelessly launching wars. I don't care for Rep. Rangel. I don't like his political beliefs and I don't think that he is a particularly honest man, but I agree 100% with his views concerning a draft. I have believed for some time that we need to bring back the draft, and I'll tell you why.
A majority of Americans have come to believe that national defense is the job of "other people's kids." National defense is something we hire "other people" to do. We have way too many Americans who incorrectly believe that the military is for those kids who are social misfits, academically unsuccessful, and who have no other prospects. They are wrong, but that is the common misperception. Over the last 30 years, we as a country have lost the belief that national defense is a shared responsibility that we all have to sacrifice for. One of the biggest blunders that Pres. Bush made as president was when he told America after 9/11 that the best thing we could do was to go on about our lives and leave national security to the "experts." This is a big reason why he has so little support for the war in Iraq. "We the people" have no ownership of the war on terror. We have not been called on to share the sacrifice. We have been allowed to forget how important it is to take the fight to the Islamofascists over there, rather than sit back and wait for them to blow up our cities.
I have 3 children, ages 7 (boy), 4 (girl), and 16 months (boy). I am well aware of the fact that if the draft came back, my kids would be affected. Whether you want to face the facts or not, we are in the beginning years of World War III, and it will not end anytime in my lifetime. A draft means that my children would probably be put in harm's way, and that thought just crushes me. My head tells me, though, that a draft is the right thing to do. I am in the minority with this opinion. Any politician who ran for office proclaiming that he would work to reinstitute the draft would be defeated. I know all this, yet the truth is the truth. Our great nation has become soft. We are becoming a nation of people unwilling to make the hard choices based on what is right and what is wrong. Our future has never been more uncertain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Counters