Sunday, April 01, 2007

thompson, gingrich and huckabee on the issues

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Fred_Thompson.htm

http://www.ontheissues.org/Newt_Gingrich.htm

http://www.issues2000.org/Mike_Huckabee.htm

We have had quite the discussion during the last week over comments about Fred Thompson, and both Newt Gingrich and Mike Huckabee have come up in that discussion. Hee-Haw quoted extensively from the website OnTheIssues.org as he sought to show Thompson's stand on the various issues of the day. I thought it would be helpful to provide links to that site for Thompson, and also for Huckabee and Gingrich.

As I looked through all of this material, a few things jumped out at me about these three men. With Huckabee, I was struck by the fact that he has said that he opposes new taxes, yet supports an Internet sales tax. Huh? I guess I shouldn't be surprised because, as governor of Arkansas, he supported a half-cent increase in the state sales tax. Now, in all fairness, Huckabee did lead the charge to slash other taxes, but I have learned through experience that any politician who is willing to raise a tax, or create a new tax, even once, is prone to doing it again. This aspect of the Huckabee record is worrisome to me. I also found Huckabee's views on crime to be somewhat soft. Treatment instead of prison for drug offenders? No thanks!

As I looked through Thompson's record I had to resist the urge to cheer. Right down the line, I agreed with his positions over and over again. Abortion, national defense, gay marriage, guns, taxes, budget---I found myself in 100% agreement with the actor/senator. One person who commented on my blog a couple of days ago raised a point about Thompson that I do find fault with. This person said that, in a FOX News interview last week, Thompson stated his support for amnesty for illegal immigrants. I have not yet found proof of that but, if that's true, it would be a HUGE red flag for me. As I've said repeatedly, though, this is a long campaign, it's way too early to endorse one candidate or another, and we have lots of time to see where these guys really stand on the issues.

I find myself in almost total agreement with Gingrich. I am troubled by his belief that the federal government can successfully reform education in this country (it can't) and I am also troubled by his fascination with technology as an avenue for solving many of our national problems. Other than that, I'm comfortable with his stand on the issues.

If I were to categorize these three men, I would say that Gingrich and Thompson are both solid conservatives and that Huckabee, although not as far to the right as I would like, is still decidedly more conservative than our current president. I'm a political junkie, so it's going to be exciting for me to watch how this all plays out, particularly since two of the above three men are not running for president (yet).

1 Comments:

Blogger OrdinaryColoradoan said...

Fred Thompson on Immigration:

(From a fox news interview)

We woke up one day after years of neglect and apparently discovered that we have somewhere between 12 million and 20 million illegal aliens in this country. So it became an impossible situation to deal with.

I mean, there's really no good solution. So what do you do? You have to start over. Well, I'm concerned about the next 12 million or 20 million. So that's why enforcement, and enforcement at the border, has to be primary.

I think most people feel disillusioned after 1986 when we had this deal offered to them before, and now we're insisting that, you know, we solve the security problem first, and then we'll talk about what to do with regard to other things — certainly no amnesty or nothing blanket like that.

Check the fox news transcripts.

(they're linked in my blog)

http://coloradoansforthompson.blogspot.com/2007/03/fox-news-transcript.html

2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Counters